Junior Cert Business
Business Studies is that part of the curriculum which enables the student to make informed decisions in the everyday business of living, which contributes to the student’s understanding of the world of business, which encourages a positive attitude to enterprise and which develops appropriate skills in that field. The syllabus is balanced between the business education necessary for the individual/household area and business education in the purely commercial context. This balance is achieved by devoting separate syllabus sections to ‘the Business of Living’ and ‘Enterprise’. The business concepts and skills introduced in one are restated and reinforced in the other. A section on economic awareness forms a bridge between these two sections.
The syllabus consists of the main topics outlined below:
Section 1: The Business of Living
Financial Services for the Consumer
Section 2: Economic Awareness
The National Budget
Service to Business
Section 3: Enterprise 1
The Business Unit
Section 3: Enterprise 2
The Trading, Profit and Loss Account
The Balance Sheet
Reporting on Accounts
Section 4: Information Technology
There are two written exams at Higher Level. Paper I (2.5 hours) examines students on household and personal questions, which consists of twenty short answer questions (no choice) and six long questions (answer four). Paper II (2 hours) examines students from a business perspective and has six long questions of which students must do four.
Ordinary level students are required to sit one written exam (2.5 hours).They are required to answer twenty short answer questions and five long answer questions.
At Ordinary level, candidates will be required to:
- recall and demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the syllabus content.
In addition, Higher level candidates will be required to:
- demonstrate a greater depth of knowledge and understanding of the concepts and issues than Ordinary level candidates, as well as a greater proficiency in applications and analysis;
- apply the business terms, concepts and theories to address problems and issues;
- select, organise, interpret and use information supplied;
- evaluate and make reasoned judgements and present conclusions accurately and appropriately.
SMStutor and Business
SMStutor covers the flowing areas:
- Short Questions- SMS Tutor will deal with frequently occurring short questions demonstrating to students exactly how they should be answered in accordance with the marking scheme.
- Long Questions- SMS Tutor will advise students on how to approach long questions based on content, the verb used and marking scheme provided.
SMStutor is provided by experienced Business teachers and examiners who will provide excellent information, tips and advice on how best to answer the Leaving Cert Business paper.
Students will receive advice on time management, how to deal with key verbs and shown how to answer questions from past exam papers.
Students will find each text invaluable in pursuit of the perfect A1 grade!!
Please select the year and duration of your Business texts package
Monthly Business 2nd Year
Yearly Business 2nd Year
Monthly Business 3rd Year
Yearly Business 3rd Year